Honestly, I’m about at the tail-end of my patience with the sheetrock contractor. I like the guys and they started off with good quality speedy work…and then they got busy elsewhere and the work got sloppy and slow. First, they forgot the rounded corners they quoted me (and I reviewed with them before they got started on the project). Then they forgot to wrap the windows and shop door opening as quoted. When they came back to redo the rounded corners and window openings, they got in a hurry and tried to do them all with one pass of mud before sanding…and came back to sand while the mud was still a little wet. I’m no expert, but I’ve never seen anyone try to do a joint like that with one pass before – they certainly didn’t try that on the previous joints and screw holes previously. Everytime I complain, a guy shows up for about 10 minutes late in the evening and sands a few more spots. Added to which, I just found an entire corner that doesn’t look like it’s been sanded from the very beginning.
Having gotten tired of rescheduling the painter (we’re now half a month into what was supposed to be a four day sheetrock job) and not being sure how picky I am really being, I scheduled the painter to get the primer up. I’m a little less pleased with the drywall work now that I can see it with paint on it and will be asking the company to do a detailed walk through with me and fix the items in three days, or walk away without their last 10%. It’s bad enough when I have to wait for myself to get things done – much less so when I’m paying someone to get it done because I didn’t think I had the time. The problems aren’t huge, but they are frustrating because I know it wouldn’t take these guys long to just fix them if they would just commit themselves to getting it done right once and for all instead of doing “just enough” to keep me from screaming.
In general, however, it does look pretty good. There are just several spots that need to have blade scrapes and air bubbles filled. A couple of the window corners are pretty rough and there are a few screw heads that got missed above the baseboard level. I’m hoping to resolve this with the guys in morning and intend to have a plan for the painter to start putting color on the walls this Friday. (I just realized I didn’t get any pictures with the primer up).
this shot shows a little of the lack of detail in the window corners. The corner molding/drywall forms should have been mitered – but they weren’t and they tried to make up the shape with mud. I’m sure it can be done…but it looks a lot like “the hard way”. (you’ll probably need to follow the link and zoom in to see the corner detail).
After watching my entry doors get beat pretty hard by driving rain, I decided to install some awnings to provide some weather protection. It took a while to figure out how to install the upstairs unit and it took quite a bit of maneuvering with ladders to get it done. I finally hatched a plan to temporarily zip-tie some aluminum rods to the awning structure to give it enough rigidity to support itself from two middle bolts. It worked like a charm.